Saturday, September 26, 2009

Mommy's Pancakes

This morning I woke up with a hankering to bake or cook something semi-sweet and straight up homemade, from scratch, for breakfast. My first thought was my chocolate chip pumpkin spice bars, but alas, the only ingredient I was missing was the chocolate chips. I decided to think outside the box a little and to look up a basic recipe for homemade pancakes, knowing I'd rewrite part of it... but I needed a place to start. I was missing one ingredient I wanted to add, and next time I will add it... but for now, I'm writing it into the recipe. I have to admit, these pancakes were by far the best pancakes I've ever had. They were exactly what I wanted and so easy to make. I had all the ingredients on hand, as most of you probably do as well. I'm going to post the recipe template and then my changes. Behold, Mommy's Pancakes:

Old Recipe
1 egg
1 c. flour
3/4 c. milk
2 tbsp. oil
1 tbsp. sugar
3 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt

My Recipe
1 egg
1 c. flour
3/4 and 1/8 c. milk
2 tbsp. oil
2 tbsp. cinnamon sugar
1 tbsp. brown sugar
3 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. vanilla

Mix all the dry ingredients first, then add the wet ingredients. Use a 1/4 cup to make perfect-sized pancakes. This recipes yields 7-8 pancakes. Top with butter and light karo syrup.

The ingredient I was out of was the brown sugar. I was so disappointed and quite shocked that I was actually out and had not replaced it. I think the brown sugar would add a little extra sweetness for the most perfect pancakes. You'll notice I changed the regular sugar to cinnamon sugar, added vanilla, and also an additional 1/8 c. of milk. I noticed in the original recipe that the consistency of the batter was much too thick. So I added that extra 1/8 and it made a perfect batter.

My original idea was to use the pumpkin spice mix in the batter instead of using the cinnamon sugar... but when I saw I had the cinnamon sugar on hand, I decided to go that route instead. I may, at some point, decide to give the other way a whirl. But for now, this recipe is mine, and I hope you find time to make it. I named it Mommy's Pancakes since I am becoming a mommy and it's increasingly important to find fun/easy recipes that my child will love. What kid doesn't like pancakes, anyway? (Don't answer that question.)

2 comments: