The amnio test was yesterday and it went really well, even though the results didn't go so well. The needle wasn't very painful at all (the IVs hurt a lot worse), just breathing was a little rough having a needle in my belly... but it was neat to watch the needle on the ultrasound and see the doctor pull the amniotic fluid. I had lots of it so it was very easy and quick for him to grab it. He took a little extra and asked if he had permission to study it... yeah sure, go right ahead. Have your fun.
I was full of optimism and hope... hopeful that the 4 steroid shots actually made a difference in Zoey's lung development... hopeful she was at least transitional... I didn't expect her to be fully mature, I mean... she is just 34 week gestation... even if she is measuring far ahead... but this is the break down:
55 or higher is mature
40-54 is transitional
Zoey is at 32.
I don't think I would have cried so much this morning if she was at 40. I would have at least felt more at ease that she was well on her way. I texted with my OB all morning, she called the dr for me, got the rundown, and relayed the info back to me. He basically told her that this pushes things back a week (unless an emergency arises), he may repeat the amnio next week and see what happens, but until then I need to just hold tight a little longer. Unfortunately, one week in this place already feels like one month and I am dying to be home...
My body has tried to reject her twice now... how many times will they wait and how many more drugs will they put me on before just taking her out? This vasa previa is a very scary thing... I know enough about it to lose sleep at night. As she gets bigger, what will happen?
I finally spoke to the doctor and he explained in detail how lung maturity works... it tends to rapidly speed up instead of steadily incline, so Zoey could very well be fine next Friday. Or she could need NICU, but he thinks she would do better than I think. So the news is getting somewhat better... he said he heard my OB got temporarily privileges approved for the hospital and he is going to ask her about availability next Friday, March 26, my originally scheduled c-section date, and see what materials she likes to use and get an O.R. scheduled.
I am trying to hold onto this hope. One more week... I can do this...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment